Moving checklist – Local Moves
Once you have bought your home, we can help make the move easier for you. Follow this handy checklist:
- Book the movers:
- You can choose to have your movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It is a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies. See our ‘Relocation’ section for suggestions on how to choose a mover.
If you own your present home:
- Arrange to have your gas, water, and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bills forwarded to your new address. Have the oil tank read and filled before your sale closes, and provide a receipt to your legal professional if required If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser. Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and alarm system (unless assigned to Purchaser).
- If you rent your present home:
- Give the necessary written notice to your landlord.
At your new home
- Make arrangements for insurance coverage on your new home as soon as possible. Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone, cable TV, and alarm to be connected on the day the sale closes or soon thereafter as appropriate. Let your REALTOR® and lawyer know of your new telephone number.
- Get “Change of Address” cards from the post office and send out well before moving day
- Weed out unused or unnecessary items and either donate them, throw them out or hold a yard sale
- Conduct an inventory of items in your home for insurance purposes (consider using a digital camera)
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pickup, newspapers, magazines, and other home services.
- Arrange for services at your new address
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations, and memberships
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription, and optical records
- Close all bank accounts or do appropriate transfers, empty safety deposit boxes
- Review deductibility of expenses with your accountant
- Change the address on your driver’s license(s) effective the day of the move
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair, or storage, e.g., dry cleaning
- Arrange for Child Care on the day of the move, if necessary
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets
- Safely dispose of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them
- Use up or donate all foods in your panty and refrigerator
For out of town or out of country moves, follow this link to the relocation page.