Preparation and organization are the best tools to reduce your stress level. Booking the right mover can be key to ensuring a smooth stressful move.
Finding a reputable mover
- Ask friends or colleagues for recommendations.
- Refer to the Yellow Pages. Call two or three recommended movers and make an appointment for their representative to come to your home to discuss details of your move.
- Insist on an experienced driver who will be responsible for packing and moving your belongings.
- Discuss the whole process of the move with the company’s representative. Ask him/her about cost, timing, the company’s liability in case of damage or loss, the company’s unloading procedure at the new location, and any special requirements for moving a piano, antiques, appliances, car, etc.
- Make all of your expectations clear
- Finally, plan to be there during the move
- The moving company can accommodate all of your needs
- Check with the Better Business Bureau to confirm your choice
- All the services you requested are included in your estimate
- You know when payment is expected.Most companies will insist on receiving payment by certified cheque, cash or money order before they unload at your new home.
- Arrange the children’s bedroom first
- Unpack the kitchen next until it’s workable
- Unpack the laundry area and bathrooms